Sunday 11 August 2013

So's your face, So's your mum!


Anyone else started/ended a conversation with those words?

I've noticed more and more over recent days and months that Phil and I are very good at laughing. Of course there are times you don't laugh - coming off your bike in the rain, realising you've been cheated and charged Barang prices at the market from your usual very friendly stall holder, or feeling a bit rough around the edges. For the most part though we laugh... a lot. Mostly at each other, or maybe just at me. Silly voices, stupid jokes, silly sound effects all add to the hilarity in the Parky household. We might have just celebrated 4 years of marriage, but occasionally - you'd be mistaken for thinking we were celebrating the 4th birthday of my inner child!! Yes, I am that silly. 

In case you can't quite figure out why the phrase in this Blog's title would ever be funny, let me explain...
Take an inconspicuous comment, such as, 'The floor's a bit wet', add a precocious wife, and the response is likely to be 'So's your face!'. Depending on the original comment the standard response back from the first party is 'So's your mum!'. Now this can be a highly dangerous game, especially when in the vicinity of either of the parties' mothers, but obviously, the more ridiculous the comment, the greater the hilarity. 
NB. This is not a wise game to play with your sister, at the dining table, discussing a lemon dessert. 'This is a bit tart' followed by 'So's your face' was irresistibly followed by 'So's your mum' who was in fact, mother to both of us, and separated by only a stack of plates from the guilty offspring. Raucous laughter led to explanation, and being the unfortunate party to have been left with the second response, I of course landed in more trouble - after mum stopped laughing and sighing over how ridiculous we were!

Back to the point - there is one, I promise! There is another context to this phrase being used, as a response to an actual question, 'Who's the Queen of England?' for example, is easily answered with the phrase 'Your mum.' Or if you're feeling particularly ghetto - 'Yo' momma'. 
This was the variation used when Phil and I were happily listening to Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC Radio iPlayer (at lunchtime, given the time difference). This in itself is a happy occurrence, especially for me, as I sang along to all the jingles (whether I knew them all or not), giggled at Chris' son Noah making various announcements, and danced round like a loon to the songs, making up new words and again, collapsing in giggles. On this specific occasion, we were listening to an featurette on the Friday Night is Music Night Show coming later that with showcasing lots of beautiful pomp and ceremony. Following the interview Chris started playing a piece that would be featured on the night, which Phil then asked of me, as it started, 'Who's this by?' My answer was of course, 'Your mum', but on this occasion - I elaborated...

Your mum.
Oh really?
Yes, you see, she plays the violin, you can hear the violins.... now. That's her. Your mum's playing this.
Right...
And now you see, this bit, the vocals that go with it are 'Your mum, your mum, your mum, youuuur mum, your mum, your muuuum.'
(Laughing) are they?
And if you listen, you see this bit.... (dramatic pause) is your mum walking out into the garden... listen to the birds... and she's doing some gardening. (Pauses) This bit, that's Tanya popping her head over the fence and chatting... ooh, and now, hear that? It's the neighbours' kids kicking a ball over the fence. And now your mum is taking a run up, listen, step, step step, step and kiiiiiiick! She's launched it back over the hedge. And then it repeats - listen, step step step kick!!!
What's this bit?
This is your dad coming to the back door and asking if your mum wants a cup of tea. She does. This bit is him going to the kitchen, filling up the teabag pot with teabags, and putting the kettle on. That's the cups clinking, and he's singing while he does it. That's the sugar going in.... now the milk. Now he goes to call her in from the garden, Tanya jumps over the fence, and your dad, your mum, Tanya and  Meg (the dog), all march into the house, do a couple of laps around the living room, then through to the lounge, where again they all do a couple of laps, showing how wonderful your mum is, then she sits on the sofa, puts her feet up (like it's her very own throne) and your dad presents her with a cup of tea. 

And that's what this song's about. 


So today, on your birthday Sharon Parkinson, I'd like to dedicate this blog entry to you. A marvellous mum, who really should have her own royal theme-tune, but perhaps who shouldn't be given a sceptre... I get the feeling I'd be bopped on the head with it too often for my liking. I love you so very much, and so does that boy of yours that I've absconded with/married. I'm grateful for the influence, encouragement and hilarity you bring to my life. I'm richer for knowing you, and am utterly blessed not only to have my own brilliant mum to giggle with, but to have you as my mother-in-law too. 

Happy Birthday Mum x



NB. To any concerned readers: This was not a dream. It was indeed an actual conversation between Phil and I, and it goes a long way to show what goes on in my head. Please also note that if you don't find this hilarious, you probably shouldn't spend too much time with me in person, especially after I've had some sugar. Laughing at me is just as good as laughing with me... so if you can manage either, pop over for a brew sometime - it could be rather entertaining. Especially if there's a foreign language channel on and we start doing voiceovers. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. This is just...... You're hilarious. And so's your face. And so's my mum.

    ReplyDelete